Area History: Pollock Pines is small community located about 15 miles from Placerville, CA. Originally, the Pollock Pines area may have served as a Native American summer camp or possibly as a meeting place to trade and barter with others. The discovery of gold by James Marshall in nearby Coloma in 1848 brought many people to the area. About 1909, Land developer Hiram Robert Pollock moved with his wife, Anna and son Claude Earl to the area. He owned and operated a lumber mill near Sly Park until the early 1930's, when it was destroyed by fire. In the mid-1930's, Pollock subdivided a plot of land on either side of old Highway 50. The subdivision was called Pollack Pines and the homes built there were used
primarily as summer homes. Pollock Pines is best known for the Sportsman’s Hall, which was a home stop on the Pony Express route. The Inn was owned and operated in the late 1850's and 1860's by John and
James Blair. Today, Sportsman’s Hall is well-known for the restaurant located in the original building.
Sierra Nevada Virtual Museum
The Post Offices of El Dorado County – Doug Noble, 2002
Pollack Pines Area Plan (draft) – El Dorado County Planning Department, 1981(?)
"Survey of California Registered Historical Landmarks: Sportsman's Hall,"
California Landmarks File No. 704 State Historic Preservation Division, Sacramento, California